Friday, June 17, 2011

Drake’s Brewing Hopocalypse Double IPA

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.


Tonight’s featured beer is Drake’s Brewing Hopocalypse IIPA. I mentioned in a previous post that I was introduced to Drake’s back in 1999 while at the San Leandro Cherry Festival. I’m still seeking out their beers (I found them at the Manor Bowl the other night when I was out…uh…bowling…and was THRILLED to have a HUGE Drake’s IPA on draught). I’m trying to mix up the reviews a little, but I’m just so darned in love with Drake’s right now and since their Barrel House and Tap Room should open on June 24th (read about it – an article by bayareacraftbeer.com) I thought I’d do a little promoting of their fine brews.

From the Drake’s Brewing website: “Hopocalypse IIPA – 9.3% ABV, 100+ IBUs
Large amounts of American two-row malt and English Pale malt are combined with Vienna, Rye & Crystal malts, then balanced with German magnum, Simcoe & Chinook hops. Then, of course, we then dry hop it with additional Simcoe & Chinook. Finally, this deep orange monster is loosely filtered to keep the integrity of the malt and hops intact. Enjoy the massive aromatic revelation and prophetic flavor of this beer now and forever after.”

Let’s get started!

Appearance: Pours a deep somewhat hazy orange color with a nice frothy white head. Great retention and nice lacing.

Aroma: Crisp hop scents of citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon) and pine. I noticed a bit of peach and maybe pineapple scents.

Taste: EXCELLENT and very balanced. Great hop profile – citrus, floral and pine (just like the aromas). Excellent malt front – nutty and caramel. This beer has everything I enjoy about IIPAs!

Overall: I could check every box with this stellar beer from Drake’s Brewing. Balance, bitterness, flavors, ABV…all on point. The great thing about this 9.3% ABV monster is the drinkability. A phenomenally GREAT beer that’s available January through March. Get some while you can!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment