Wednesday, December 5, 2012

High Water Brewing Rio d'Oro Belgian Golden Strong Ale


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is High Water Brewing Rio d'Oro Belgian Golden Strong Ale. 

 From the High Water Brewing website: “Thanks for checking out our newest Fall seasonal beer Rio d'Oro, or "River of Gold". This beer is a Belgian Golden Strong Ale; I have always been inspired by Duvel Moortgat Brewery of Belgium. Their Strong Blonde Ale has always been one of my favorite go to beers when I find it. Our version is brewed using all Belgian Pilsner malt, Styrian Golding hops and WLP570 Belgian yeast strain. The beer was brewed on August 9th and released on October 10th allowing a full 2 months of maturation and conditioning. This was my first time using this strain of yeast and I am very happy with the light tropical fruit notes and fairly low level of bubblegum flavors. It has a very nice spicy black pepper component in the finish. Please enjoy.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a golden orange with a slight white head and ample lacing.
Aroma: Belgian yeast, pilsner and caramel malts, banana, coriander, citrus hops and clove.
Taste: Perfectly in line with the aroma - Belgian yeast, pilsner and caramel malts, candy sugar, banana, coriander, citrus and tropical notes and clove. Balanced and sensational!
Overall: I completely enjoyed High Water Brewing’s Rio d'Oro Belgian Golden Strong Ale.  Very drinkable at 8.5% ABV and when I finished the bomber I wished I had another ready to go.  High Water Brewing has been consistently excellent and worth checking out!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment