Sunday, February 10, 2013

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.  For Christmas I was given a three pack of Samuel Smith beers and a pint glass from Luke, a gentleman I work with.  Although I had always heard great things of their beers it was never something I gravitated toward seeing as I drink local most of the time.  Well, thanks to Luke I’ll now have three Samuel Smith beer reviews posted here (in time).

From Samuel Smith’s Brewery website: “Brewed with well water (the original well at the Old Brewery, sunk in 1758, is still in use, with the hard well water being drawn from 85 feet underground); fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’ to create an almost opaque, wonderfully silky and smooth textured ale with a complex medium dry palate and bittersweet finish.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, nearly black with a large cream colored head and lots of lacing.
Aroma: Caramel, roasted malt, toffee, chocolate, coffee, nutty and touches of dark fruit.
Taste: Caramel and dark roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, nutty with just a slight bitterness.
Overall: Incredibly smooth and drinkable, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is extremely good.  At 5% ABV I highly recommend this beer as a nice light stout for those who are looking for a good session stout.  I won’t pass this by next time I’m looking for a well-made British stout.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment