Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Drake’s Brewing 1500 Pale Ale

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Drake’s Brewing 1500 Pale Ale.  I hadn’t tried 1500 until I worked the Drake’s first Friday for my kid’s school (previous post). Tony (from Drake’s) suggested I try this (as well as Alpha Session) and I became an immediate fan.  I’ve been back to the Barrel House (here) a few times and I keep picking up 1500. I think I may need to stop by again soon…I think I only have one left.

From the Drake’s Brewing website : “An American Pale Ale. For batch number 1500, Josh & Brian decided to brew a big hoppy beer, yet make it quaffable by keeping the alcohol level down. Turns out everyone liked it so much, that it is now brewed year-round. Loads of Simcoe and Amarillo hops are blended in the fermenter, just after fermentation has finished, to impart a huge aroma of pine and citrus.”

Winner: Silver 2008 Great American Beer Festival and 2nd Place American Pale Ale 2008 California State Fair.
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a nice golden orange with a thick foamy off-white head and heavy lacing.
Aroma: Giant hop aroma – citrus, pine, light on the floral hops and a little spice.  Biscuit and sweet caramel malts.  Smells like liquid heaven.
Taste: Nothing short of amazing with LOTS of hop character (citrus and pine) and a fantastic malt backbone.
Overall: Well balanced and sessionable (at 5.5% ABV). Drake’s Brewing 1500 Pale Ale has quickly become one of my favorite beers. Impressed would under emphasize how I feel about this one. GREAT BEER – DRINK IT!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment