Saturday, November 19, 2011

Jack Russell Brewing Company Scottish Ale

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Jack Russell Brewing Company Scottish Ale.  My family takes an annual trip to Lake Tahoe and a few years ago I heard about Jack Russell Brewing Company in Camino, CA (which is on the way up to Lake Tahoe).  I always enjoy swinging by the Jack Russell Farm Brewery and Winery and the Larsen Apple Barn to pick up some beer, apples and pears.  This year was no exception except for the fact that now I am blogging about what I drink so I’ll be writing reviews for all the Jack Russell Brewing Company beers I picked up on this trip.  Every season is different at the Jack Russell Brewing Company so I look forward to heading back up there to add more of their beers to my blog (well…and let’s be honest, to DRINK in their fine brews). The first Jack Russell Brewing Company beer I had ever tried was their Scottish Ale so it makes sense to review this one first.

From the Jack Russell Brewing Company website:” A rich, malty-sweet ale from Scotland. Our Scottish Ale has a smoky, sweet taste derived from peat·smoked malt, reminiscent of single malt scotch whiskey”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with a very nice tan head and not much lacing.

Aroma: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, perhaps coffee and certainly smoke.
Taste: Taste like the nose with roasted malts, smoke, hints of chocolate and coffee.
Overall: At 6.5% ABV Jack Russell Brewing Company Scottish Ale is worth trying.  
It is a very well done Scottish Ale (in my opinion).

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment