Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Marshall Brewing Company McNellie's Pub Ale


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Marshall Brewing Company McNellie's Pub Ale. While on my not so recent trip to Tulsa, OK I stopped into Whiskey Business (here) a Fine Wine, Spirits & Craft Beer shop that, based on some research, was THE place to go when seeking good craft beers in Tulsa.  Well, the information was correct and I left Tulsa with a suitcase not quite full of beers for review.  I had emailed Marshall Brewing Company prior to my trip to see if they’d let me take a tour or stop by, but they never replied so I figured I’d pick up some of their beers from Whiskey Business and bring them home to review. 

From the Marshall Brewing Company website: “Inspired by the house ales found in the pubs of Great Britain and Ireland, McNellie’s Pub Ale is a traditional ale brewed in the style of a Best Bitter. Various maltings of two-row barley are joined with American Glacier hops to give this beer its color, complexity, and a bit of a New World twist. The Old World character present in this ale is largely influenced by its yeast, which originates in the port city of Hull, East Yorkshire, England. McNellie’s Pub Ale pairs excellent with fish & chips (of course), Roast Beef, Steak, Pork, Grilled Chicken, and Barbeque. ABV – 5.0%”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a tan head and great lacing.
Aroma: Caramel and toasted malts, light fruit, floral and citrus hops.
Taste: Sweet caramel and toasted malts, toffee, citrus, grassy and floral hops with a faint English Ale yeast flavor.
Overall: An enjoyable English Bitter, Marshall Brewing Company McNellie's Pub Ale is well balanced easy to drink. At 5% ABV this is an easy session beer. I missed the chance to have this one on tap when I had dinner at McNellie’s Pub…wish I hadn’t.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey
If you haven’t already, please like the NorCal Beer Blog on Facebook (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment