Friday, August 10, 2012

Victory Brewing Company HopDevil IPA


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Here’s the third of the six beer reviews I did from that dark hotel room in San Antonio, TX.  Although many of the beers I picked up that night were from Texas brewers, I did manage to pick up a couple beers from brewers outside of Texas.

Tonight’s featured beer is Victory Brewing Company HopDevil IPA.  I had heard a lot about Victory Brewing Company and how good their beers are so I was very happy to find HopDevil IPA at the store.

From the Victory Brewing Company website:” Menacingly delicious, with the powerful, aromatic punch of whole flower American hops backed up by rich, German malts. HopDevil Ale® offers a roller coaster ride of flavor, coasting to a smooth finish that satisfies fully.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a deep amber with a small white head and good lacing.
Aroma: Spicy hop aroma, citrus, grapefruit and pine with malts bringing up the backend. Great to breathe in.
Taste: Following the nose with grapefruit, citrus and pine hop flavors. Nicely balanced with sweet malts. Not as “devilish” as I had expected.
Overall: Solid and very drinkable, Victory Brewing Company’s HopDevil IPA isn’t the California hop bomb that I have grown accustomed to, but it is balanced well and certainly a top notch IPA.  At 6.7% ABV I could see drinking a few of these.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment