Tuesday, January 10, 2012

North Coast Brewing Company Old No. 38 Stout

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is North Coast Brewing Company Old No. 38 Stout.  North Coast Brewing Company is one of my favorites and their beers are always pleasing and great to have around the house.  It had been some time since I cracked open an Old No. 38 and since I had yet to review it I thought this would be the right time to do so. Plus, I've been in a Stout drinkin' mood...

From the North Coast Brewing Company website: ” Named for a retired California Western Railroad steam engine on the Fort Bragg to Willits run through the Redwoods, Old No. 38 Stout is a smooth, firm-bodied stout with the toasted character and coffee notes of dark malts and roasted barley.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a nice tan head and good lacing.
Aroma: Chocolate and roasted malts and coffee.  Smells sweet and inviting.
Taste: Roasted malt flavors and coffee are at the forefront followed by bitter sweet chocolate and a very nice dry finish.
Overall: Balanced, drinkable and delicious, North Coast Brewing Company’s Old No. 38 Stout is a beer that I keep in my beer fridge year round.  Not too heavy and at 5.5% ABV I can easily session this beer.  If you’re in the mood for fantastic Stout…pick up a six of this.  You’ll be glad you did!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment