Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Heretic Brewing Company Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Heretic Brewing Company Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. I picked this bottle up at Royal Liquors in San Jose (here).

Commercial description: “Chocolate Hazelnut Porter was the first beer I entered in competition. It took 3rd place and gave me feedback on what I could do to improve.  This sparked my passion for using competition to improve my brewing. The next time it took 1st place and eventually a Best of Show award. There is just something wonderful about the combination of rich chocolate and toasty hazelnut.  When I started Heretic, people asked when we would release Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, but we had to be patient.  Like that first award winning beer, I had to make sure the one in this bottle was perfect before we could release it.  Many brews and tasting later, I am proud to offer you this rich, chocolaty, nutty dessert in a glass…Jamil Zainasheff.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a nice mocha colored head and spotty lacing.
Aroma: Chocolate, roasted malts, caramel and toasted hazelnuts.
Taste: Toasted hazelnuts, chocolate, roasted malts and a touch of coffee.
Overall: Smooth, sweet and creamy Heretic Brewing Company Chocolate Hazelnut Porter I nutty and delicious.  This 7% ABV Porter is a must try in my opinion if you’re a fan of the style.  Another solid Heretic offering!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

If you haven’t already, please like the NorCal Beer Blog on Facebook (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment