Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lagunitas Brewing Company Hairy Eyeball Ale

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Lagunitas Brewing Company’s Hairy Eyeball Ale. I believe I’ve made it quite clear that I love Lagunitas Brewing Company. At any given time you can find at least a few varieties of their beers in my beer fridge. Not only are they a NorCal brewery, but if I were stuck on a desert island and could only choose one brewery to supply my lonely self it’d be them. I know that’s a big statement to make and I am open to challenges on my personal preference – so bring it. I'd like to hear what brewery you'd like to be stranded with (Drakes Brewing is certainly a contender as well).

Alright, with that gauntlet being thrown down…from the Lagunitas website: “Our New Year's release for the seasoned beer folks … Big, brown warmer with several varieties of crystal malt. No actual eyeballs were added during the brewing of this beer.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark amber, almost chocolate in color. Dense head with a long lasting lacing.
Aroma: Reminds me of a barley wine. Dried drunken fruit, brown sugar, roasted malts and a slight citrus hop scent.
Taste: Caramel malt, raisins, chocolate and bourbon. A little sweet, a little boozy and a little bit of hops. Delicious!
Overall: Incredibly drinkable. Complex. Such a great beer. At 9.0% ABV your session might be short, but who cares…your eyeballs won’t get hairy, but could be bloodshot the next day. Highly recommended!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment