Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Maui Brewing Co. CoCoNut PorTeR Brew Review

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Maui Brewing Company CoCoNut PorTeR. I find myself day dreaming about Hawai’i with regularity. Being a West Coaster has so many advantages and one of them is being close to The Aloha State. I’ve visited many of the breweries in Hawai’i, but since I’ve never been to Maui I’ve not had the opportunity to visit the Maui Brewing Company. I hope to remedy this soon. OK, let’s get back to beer…

From the Maui Brewing Co. website: “Our CoCoNut Porter is a fresh handcrafted robust porter brewed with six varieties of malted barley, hops and hand-toasted coconut. It begins with a malty-toasted coconut aroma followed by a rich, silky feel with tastes of dark malt, chocolate and hints of coffee. It then finishes with flavors of toasted coconut and hoppy spice to balance the finish.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a deep, dark ruby brown with a tan head and nice lacing.
Aroma: Phenomenal. Coconut, chocolate and roasted malts and more coconut. Such a great smelling beer!
Taste: I’m a huge fan of coconut. Roasted dark malts, caramel, coffee and chocolate with a hint of burnt sugar. The toasted coconut flavor isn’t as dominant as the aroma would indicate, but it is there and it is SO good.
Overall: Smooth, rich, creamy and extremely drinkable I believe Maui Brewing Company’s CoCoNut PorTeR is probably one of the best Porters I’ve had in a long time. Certainly something I need to keep on hand for those times when I need to feel a little closer to The 50th State.

Aloha and Cheers!

Mark Harvey

2 comments:

  1. I feel dumb asking this, but does beer have sugar in it? I recently found out I can't have any sugar or honey, but want to drink beer, and was hoping to try the Maui Brewing Coconut Porter.
    Thanks,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julie,

    Most of the sugars (glucose) are consumed by the yeast which becomes alcohol. You should be able to find out whether or not a beer contains honey thus avoiding it. Maui Brewing Co. CoCoNut PorTeR isn't over the top sweet so you could give it a go, but you may want to reach out to the brewery to make sure it doesn't contains sugars that could make you sick.

    Cheers!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete