Thursday, February 23, 2012

Abita Brewing Company Jockamo IPA

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Abita Brewing Company Jockamo IPA as I continue on with my “drinking Abita in New Orleans” special. I had this one on tap as well as in the bottle.

From the Abita Brewing Company website:” Jockamo is named for the tribes of dancing, singing, chanting “Mardi Gras Indians” who have marched in New Orleans for over 250 years. When you hear the drums, join in the song...“Iko! Iko! Jockamo fe na ne”.
Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate. The intense hop character adds more spice to the meal and makes it a perfect choice to team up with many spicy dishes. Cheddar and strong farmer cheeses stand up well to Jockamo’s hoppy character. Jockamo goes well with wild game, grilled meats and Thai or Mexican cuisine.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours an orangish amber with a small off-white head and decent lacing.
Aroma: Nice hop aroma – pine and citrus and light sweet malts.
Taste: Citrus and pine hops up front with sweet malts in the back.  Not as well balanced or hoppy as I had hoped.
Overall: Crisp and clean, Abita Brewing Company’s Jockamo IPA is easy to drink and the only IPA I was able to find when I was in New Orleans.  I would not say no to this 6.5% ABV brew, but I wouldn’t pick it up if I had other NorCal options. When in Rome…go get some!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment