Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Heretic Brewing Company Evil Twin Blood Red West Coast Amber

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Heretic Brewing Company Evil Twin Blood Red West Coast Amber. After having my first taste of Evil Twin at Handles Gastropub I was eager to find this offering in bottles.  Once I found some I stocked up!

From the Heretic Brewing Company website: “This blood-red ale may not be what you might expect from a malty and hoppy craft beer. Evil Twin has a rich malt character, without being overly sweet. It has a huge hop character, without being overly bitter. It is a great example of a bold, rich, balanced craft beer, without being heavy and hard to drink in quantity. Our Evil Twin is only bad because it is too good to resist.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark amber with a nice off-white and thick head and excellent lacing.
Aroma: Citrus (grapefruit), tropical fruit and pine hops with sweet caramel, toffee and toasted malts.
Taste: Grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, pine with sweet malts, bread and toffee to perfectly balance this hoppy red.
Overall: Incredible balance, incredible drinkability and at 6.8% ABV Heretic Brewing Company Evil Twin Blood Red West Coast Amber is extremely drinkable. I highly recommend Evil Twin! I'm looking forward to seeing Heretic Brewing Company beers all over the Bay Area and beyond.  Beer this good MUST be shared!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

3 comments:

  1. 6.8% is sessionable now? Or is sessionable just a new word for fashionable? I think sessionable means go to the pub, drink 3, drive home legally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous. I'll respond via my next post. I don't think the word sessionable is fashionable, but rather my opinion of what I can drink in a given session. The term "session" typically refers to drinking beers over time of a lower ABV and since I tend to drink mostly high ABV beers my tolerance has gotten out of hand (perhaps). Point taken and in the future I will refer to high ABV beers as drinkable so as to not give others the indication that they too can drink three of these and drive home. Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the evil cousin at the beer garden in Redwood city, CA- on draft- too hoppy for my taste. It has a nice pour, amber notes, and not a bad taste, just way too hoppy like every other craft ipa in these parts. Was looking for more malty tastes. Nothing spectacular, but decent beer, Kudos. Flunk.

    ReplyDelete