Sunday, December 30, 2012

High Water Brewing Old & In The Way Barley Wine Style Ale

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is High Water Brewing Old & In The Way Barley Wine Style Ale. High Water Brewing is becoming a staple in my beer fridge and for a good reason. Steve Altimari makes great beer!

From the High Water Brewing website: “Well the wait is over and you may now try our Old & In The Way Barleywine. This is one beer I really enjoy brewing and aging and sampling and aging and sampling and aging... well you get the picture. I ended up racking the entire 2 batches into 12 Year Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels and then blending them all back together. The caramel and toffee notes are surrounded by hints of coconut and vanilla. I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I do.
Enjoy!!! Steve”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a dark brown with ruby red highlights, a very thin tan head and minimal lacing.
Aroma: Sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, oak, dark fruit and a slight bourbon smell.
Taste: Sweet caramel malts, bourbon, vanilla, oak, dark fruit, brown sugar, toffee and balanced nicely with citrus hop bitterness.
Overall: I completely enjoyed High Water Brewing’s Old & In The Way Barley Wine Style Ale. At 10.5% ABV this is a great beer to sit and sip by a roaring fire. I only wish it was a little more affordable as I’d keep this one on hand.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment