Friday, July 18, 2014

Smisje Great Reserva - Catherine The Great Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Smisje Great Reserva - Catherine The Great Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels.  I picked this bottle up at Jane’s Beer Store in Mountain View (here) based on their recommendation.
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a hazy brown with an off-white head and light lacing.
Aroma: Dark fruit, caramel, vanilla and slight oak and cognac scents.
Taste: Caramel, lots of oak barrel, vanilla, cognac and dark fruits.  Boozy.
Overall: Although I am glad I got to try the Smisje Great Reserva - Catherine The Great Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels I would suggest this is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.  This 10% ABV offering was a little rough around the edges, but in the end as it warmed I enjoyed it. I don’t think I’d pick it up again, but I was mostly surprised as this was not an Imperial Stout as the bottle indicated. I don’t think I ever got past that as I sipped it.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

If you haven’t already, please like the NorCal Beer Blog on Facebook (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment