Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Great Northern Brewing Company Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is The Great Northern Brewing Company Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager. Here’s a beer I tried a sip of while visiting Glacier National Park.  When my family drove through Whitefish, MT we stopped at the brewery to pick up some reviewable materials and I had a couple pints. They only had one 12 oz. bottle left at the brewery so I grabbed that, but I knew I needed to bring more home for my wife. Nearly every store was out of this beer.  I did manage to find a single six pack to bring home (along with the bottle I brought home for review).  

From The Great Northern Brewing Company website: “A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance:  Pours a very pale golden color with a nice white head and spotty lacing.
Aroma: Berries dominate with wheat and grainy malts.  Sweet smelling.
Taste: Slightly sweet berry flavors, a touch of tart berry presence with wheat and grainy malt sweetness on the finish.
Overall: Refreshing and very easy to drink, The Great Northern Brewing Company Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager is very tasty.  The balance between the malts and fruit is very well done.  At 4.6% ABV I could see drinking a few of these on a hot summer day. This is one beer I’d seek and would enjoy having around the house.  Next trip to Glacier I’ll see about picking up a case.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

If you haven’t already, please like the NorCal Beer Blog on Facebook (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment