Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Drake's Brewing Company Jolly Roger Imperial Dark IPA

Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Drake's Brewing Company Jolly Roger Imperial Dark IPA.  I think by now anyone reading this blog knows that I’m a Drake’s fan and since I’m an East Bay resident I really enjoy supporting their efforts (OK, OK…drinking their beer).  This is another review that’s been on hold and I’m finally getting around to it.  Unfortunately you may not be able to find a Jolly Roger Imperial Dark IPA since each year Drake’s Brewing changes up the offering.
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, nearly black with a huge tan head and loads of sticky lacing on the glass.
Aroma: Huge hop presence, pine and citrus with scents reminiscent of a stout – roasted malts, chocolate and coffee.  Smells rich!
Taste: Very hop forward with pine, citrus and tropical fruits, but balanced nicely with richness of the malt profile – roasted, caramel and chocolate.  Very smooth!
Overall: Although the style isn’t something I would tend to gravitate towards, I really enjoyed Drake's Brewing Company Jolly Roger Imperial Dark IPA.  With a ton of flavors dancing around my palate and incredible balance I completely enjoyed this offering from Drake’s.  At 8.75% ABV a 22 was just about right for me on this.  Come November we’ll have to see what they’ve got up their sleeves.

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment