Friday, September 14, 2012

Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale.  I’ve long been a fan of Kona Brewing Company and up until recently Big Wave Golden Ale was ONLY available in Hawaii.  Whenever I’d visit Hawaii I’d seek it out both on tap and in bottles.  I never understood why they didn’t ship it to the mainland, but it was always something to look forward to…yet another reason to visit Hawaii.  When I learned it was coming stateside I was thrilled and tonight I’m reviewing this great beer that you don’t have to fly to Hawaii to get.

From the Kona Brewing Company website: “Light, Balanced & Easy Going: Our brewers wanted to make a beer that went down easy after a day out on the water. Big Wave Golden Ale is just the ticket. Big Wave is a lighter bodied golden ale with a tropical hop aroma and flavor – a smooth, easy drinking refreshing ale. The use of caramel malt contributes to the golden hue of this beer and our special blend of hops provides bright quenching finish”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a light golden color with a white frothy head and very little lacing.
Aroma: Light grains, sweet malts and a slight hop presence – citrus and tropical fruit.
Taste: Sweet and roasted malts, honey, citrus and tropical fruit flavors, not much hop bitterness which is good for the style.
Overall: Very refreshing and easy to drink, Kona Brewing Company’s Big Wave Golden Ale is a welcome addition to my beer fridge all the time.  It brings me back to hot days visiting the various Hawaiian Islands.  At 4.4% ABV this is a great beer to drink whenever you don’t want something too heavy that’ll slow you down.  I highly recommend this offering!

Cheers!

Mark Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment