Thursday, April 11, 2013

Southern Tier Brewing Company Imperial Choklat Stout


Hello beer lovers and welcome to another edition of the NorCal Beer Blog's brew review.

Tonight’s featured beer is Southern Tier Brewing Company Imperial Choklat Stout. I had to fly this beer all the way home with me from Tampa, FL.  Since room in the suitcase was precious I decided that I needed to make room for this known Southern Tier Brewing Company gem along with my Cigar City Brewing beers.  I only wish that I could’ve brought home cases of this beer.

From the Southern Tier Brewing Company website: “The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.”
Let’s get started!
Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, nearly black with a thin cocoa colored head and good lacing.
Aroma: Huge chocolate aroma.  Is this beer? Dark chocolate with a little roasted malt and slight coffee scent. Heavenly, really…
Taste: Perfect.  Slightly sweet chocolate flavor, but not too sweet.  Touches of caramel and roasted malts and coffee with just enough bitterness to remind me that I’m drinking a beer, not a dark chocolate milkshake.
Overall: I’m a believer (as if I had any doubt). Southern Tier Brewing Company is simply amazing and their Imperial Choklat Stout is yet another beer to covet.  Chocolaty, creamy and satisfying, this 10% ABV beer is magic in a glass.  I wish I had brought more back from Tampa and I wish this was sold locally.  Southern Tier Brewing Company has become one of my favorite breweries. Please send beer West…please…

Cheers!

Mark Harvey
If you haven’t already, please like the NorCal Beer Blog on Facebook (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment